IMT Des Moines Marathon

IMT Des Moines Marathon
Join Us At The Finish Line!

Friday, March 30, 2018

One of your new IMT Des Moines Marathon bloggers

Hello IMT Des Moines Marathon runners!!!!!

I just wanted to tell you that I am the newest member of the IMTDMM blogger account and couldn't be more excited for the opportunity to share my enthusiasm for the sport with you. To give you a little insight into who I am, please sit back with a nice cup of coffee, tea or a cool adult beverage and enjoy...
One of our kids is not pictured :)
My name is Brad Dains. I am a husband. Dad to 4 AMAZING children. I am an insurance underwriter. Part-time running shop sales associate (Fitness Sports in Clive ☺), soccer coach, mediocre blogger (find my personal blog here), most recently a member of the board of directors for the Capital Striders, the race director for the Sycamore 8 Trail Run and race director for the Booneville Backroads Ultra series...oh...and I like to run....ultra marathons!!!!!

To give you some background on myself, I was not always a runner. In the fall of 2004, I'd reached my end. I was fighting depression, suicidal thoughts, and a severe food addiction. I was 315lbs and had a hard time walking up a flight of stairs. I was wearing a size 44 pants and XXL shirts were starting to become snug. I was big and getting bigger every day. If you'd like to know more about what I was going through during this time in my life and how I eventually came out of it, I'd encourage you to watch a recent talk that I did as a part of the Active Endeavors Storyteller series. You can find it here

Since I hit my breaking point, I've run a lot. I've done a couple of marathons (including the IMT DMM), Dam to Dam a bunch of times, tested my fitness at the Grand Blue Mile a couple of times, a ton of 5k's and 10k's. The area that I've spent the most amount of time training though has been focused on trail races and ultras...especially the 100 mile distance. But I just love to run. No matter the surface, distance, weather, or whatever. I just love to run!!!! I love it so much, I've even run 100 miles on a treadmill....OK...that did kind of suck.

I'm really excited to be a part of the crew and to share the things that I've learned in the past 14 years of running. I'm not a doctor. I don't have schooling in kinesiology, physical therapy, or sports nutrition. I done a lot of research on my own as a part of a way to help others around me learn to love the sport because, let's be honest, there are days where running really sucks. I may be one of the most over zealous running fanatics, but I have days where it's not a lot of fun...and that's OK. My hope and goal with this blog is to get you even remotely as excited as I am about the sport that I love so much. Ask anyone who knows me and I LOVE to talk about running!!!!...and I use far too many exclamation points 😂

I hope to be able to bring up topics that you may have never thought about. Talk about common injuries I'm seeing as a part of working for Fitness Sports. I hope to educate you so that when the proverbial "human waste hits the rotary oscillator"....think it through....you'll be more knowledgeable on how to manage the roadblocks you may face. 

Like I said, I LOVE to talk running and welcome you to hoping over to my social channels and "like", "heart", "follow" or whatever and let me know if there are topics for this blog you'd like to hear about. 

Thanks for reading and I can't wait to share my excitement with all of you

Stay Strong, Run Long
Brad Dains
Instagram ...get ready for lots of selfies...
Learn all about Central Iowa's UltraMarathon... Booneville Backroads Ultra

1 comment: