IMT Des Moines Marathon

IMT Des Moines Marathon
Join Us At The Finish Line!

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

First Back2Back Practice Run Complete


Let the training begin!

Twelve weeks until race time and the training has begun! I have been working hard on increasing my miles at a reasonable rate so that I do not cause any injuries to myself. I learned this lesson the hard way this past January when I stress fractured my tibia. I was training for a spring half marathon and was so excited for a few weeks of mild winter weather and to start training that I didn't follow the basic running rules or listen to my body when I first started having pain. It took about 7 weeks off of running, x-rays, and an air cast for me to learn that you must slowly increase your mileage and definitely take rest days in between running days while doing so. 

This past weekend I ran my first practice run of back-to-back races. I ran 8 miles on Saturday and another 8 miles on Sunday. I was really surprised that the opposite of what I expected to feel happened. Saturday's run was really hard, likely due to the high temperatures, mid-day timing, and near choking humidity. I had many mental conversations with myself on Saturday and had to really push my mind and body to keep going. Sunday, although I thought it would be the harder of the two runs, actually felt great. My pace was really similar to Saturday's (at about 9 minutes exactly per mile) but I made sure to run earlier in the morning so I enjoyed less crippling temperatures and humidity. I do need to keep working on getting my pace down a little more, but with 12 weeks still to go, I should be able to shave off a little time still.

All in all I am really happy with my first practice run. It is nice to have a comparison level established as most of the time when I have run 8 miles, I usually have taken the day after off. As I train for the I-35 Challenge I will need to keep working on getting my mind and body ready to run a farther the next day. Every three weeks from here on out I have scheduled practice back-to-back runs, increasing my mileage by one mile per day per weekend, reaching a final practice weekend of two 11 milers.


Last week's mileage; this included 7 miles of walking.

Are you running in the IMT Des Moines half or or full marathons? Are you attempting the I-35 Challenge? Have you come up with a training plan for yet? Have you started training? 

I'd love to read your comments below.

About me: Although I am a Kansas Citian now, I was once a North Iowa girl, hailing from a little town called Rudd near Mason City. I am a runner of about three years, although I have always enjoyed being active through walking as well as participating in boot camp and other similar classes. Through running I have discovered a love that I did not know existed. Growing up I was never the most athletic person on the team and I always had to work hard to be average, but as an adult I have realized that I have skill in endurance running and I absolutely love it. I am not the fastest runner out there, but I am not the slowest either. In addition to being a runner, I am a college instructor, wife and mother to three children aged 3, 5, and 7 years. I have a personal blog at www.mamagottarun.blogspot.com and can also be found on Twitter and Instagram @mamagottarun. This is my second year participating in the IMT DMM races

No comments:

Post a Comment