IMT Des Moines Marathon

IMT Des Moines Marathon
Join Us At The Finish Line!

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Holy Humidity Batman

Met my training plan goals for Week 1.

Week 1 of training is complete, and I stayed right on track with my training plan. Eleven more weeks to go and I am focused, even though the weather has not been cooperating with my plans. I have to say that the last few weeks have been difficult for outdoor athletes, as I am sure many of you Midwestern runners out there can attest too. We had had a really mild summer which was awesome for running, allowing runners to sleep in a little more in May and June meaning we did not have to run at 5 or 6 am in order to beat the heat. 

Mother Nature has returned summer to us here in Kansas City, and she is not holding back. The last two weeks have been SO HOT AND HUMID. My lazy summer mornings have had to adjust to getting my runs in before 7 or 8 am or risk crippling heat and humidity. In addition to running earlier, I have been drinking 12-16 ounces of water during every one of my runs this month, no matter if it is a 3 miler or an 8 miler, and that has helped. With the humidity and heat has also come some rain, so many consecutive days that sometimes it becomes impossible to wait for a morning without rain. So, I've also had no choice a few days but to run in the wet, rainy weather. 

How are you beating the heat? What are you doing to combat the humidity? Do you enjoy running in the rain? I'd love to find out! Comment below.

Water is my new best friend.

Rain, rain and more rain means wet running shoes, drenched clothes and wearing caps to block out the droplets.

No comments:

Post a Comment