Tuesday, July 21, 2015
What's New in '15
Here's A Look at What is New This Year
1. TWO DAYS OF RACES The Principal Financial Group 5K Road Race has moved to Saturday, October 17 joining the Live Healthy Iowa Kids Run on the weekend schedule, while the IMT Des Moines Marathon, Half Marathon, and Bankers Trust Marathon Relay remain on Sunday, October 18.
2. 5K ROAD RACE DIVISIONS The Principal Financial Group 5K Road Race will feature 3 race divisions this year including an Open division for runners and walkers alike, a High School Division for participants between the ages of 14 and 19, and an Iowa National Guard Division to honor Iowa National Guard members and their families.
3. 5K COMBO Now, you can participate in two days of races by combining The Principal Financial Group 5K Road Race on Saturday with your race of choice in the IMT Des Moines Marathon, Half Marathon or Bankers Trust Marathon Relay on Sunday.
4. DOUBLE THE HARDWARE Your two day accomplishment in Des Moines will be rewarded with twice the hardware. A finisher medal on Saturday and another finisher medal on Sunday that will magnetically combine with one another to let everyone know you completed the 5K Combo.
5. 5K ROAD RACE STOCKING CAP Have a drawer of race shirts that you can’t keep up with? The Principal Financial Group 5K Road Race is offering participants a premium beanie stocking cap this year. Now you can start collecting stocking caps too.
6. FAMILY DISCOUNT Families can sign up for The Principal Financial Group 5K Road Race and Live Healthy Iowa Kids Run at the same time during online registration and save $5 on each Kids Run registration. The Live Healthy Iowa Kids Run will utilize the same start and finish line, as well as a portion of the 5K Road Race course.
7. JUSTIN ROBERTS Following the completion of the Live Healthy Iowa Kids Run on Saturday, Justin Roberts and The Not Ready For Naptime Players will perform a free concert for the public at the Simon Estes Amphitheater.
8. KATHRINE SWITZER An icon in the running world, Kathrine was the first woman to enter and complete the Boston Marathon. Hear her inspiring story of achievement Saturday evening at the return of the ABC5 Pasta Dinner in the recently renovated Community Choice Convention Center.
9. EVEN HIGHER QUALITY SHIRTS Athletes registered in the IMT Des Moines Marathon & Half Marathon and Bankers Trust Marathon Relay will receive a similar design of the revered ¼ zip pullover only this year will receive an even higher quality premium fabric in the ¼ zip than in years past. With a new stocking cap and ¼ zip you will be one step ahead of the fall and winter running season.
10. COOL FEATURES Stay in touch with race officials and get the latest updates through IMT DMM PRO, the mobile app available for free download in the Apple and Google Play stores. Check out the new mapping feature that allows you to not only view the race course but location of services offered along the route. And, after the race purchase an official event course poster personalized with your name and finish time.
11. COWLES COMMONS Mile 26 offers a return to the newly renovated Cowles Commons in downtown Des Moines. A cheer zone, live entertainment, and final transition area for Bankers Trust Marathon Relay presented by Iowa Games participants can gather and await for their final team member before crossing the finish line together.
12. ENHANCED HYDRATION The IMT Des Moines Marathon course has additional hydration stations this year (25 total) along the course to offer more opportunities for Crystal Clear Bottled Water and Gatorade Endurance hydration as you run.
13. ENHANCED CELEBRATION The Race to the ULTRA post-race party has expanded nearly twice it’s size into a beer garden. Celebrate your accomplishment after the race with friends and family along The Principal Riverwalk with live entertainment and (for the first time) beer for purchase for both athletes and spectators alike.
14. SHOW OFF YOUR ACCMPLISHMENT In addition to finisher certificates, athletes can download and personalize their own post-race poster complete with race course, finish time , and name.
15. 15 YEARS OF RUNNING Can’t join us this year? Mark October 16 & 17, 2016 on your calendar as we celebrate 15 years of running the IMT Des Moines Marathon.